Relieved

by | |
To start the holiday, Asul and I went to korean immigration to extend my visa. It will expire a month from now. It's a struggle for Asul to take time off from work so we didn't have time to do so (and me doing it alone is out of the question!)

We arrived at the immigration earlier than expected so we had to wait for awhile. The moment the door was opened, people rushed inside like it was a store having some sale!haha:) We needed not to wait again though because we already made a reservation online so we were the first ones to be entertained. However, we had a teeny tiny bit of a problem.

In November last year, we had "isa" (이사 or moving to another house or apartment). We used to live with my sister-in-law in the first six months of my stay here (and we finally moved out). The problem was we were supposed to report to the immigration that we changed our address 14 days after we moved. We only learned about it like a few days before our appointment in the immigration and Asul told me not to worry because they might not actually check it. But according to the employee, we have to pay some fine because of it. We were then directed to "shim sa gwa" (심사과, investigation department) to settle the matter.

The thing that made me quite anxious was the case of an Indian (he looked like one but im not sure) national who got there before us. Upon overhearing what they were talking about, Asul told me (in a hush whisper because we were just in a small office) that the Indian has to pay around 4 million won! Of course we don't know exactly his situation but I felt nervous. How much do we actually have to pay for? I calculated in my mind how long it has been since we moved and it's been exactly 4 months and 20 days (excluding the 14-day limit). What if we have to pay for a daily rate?haha I silently prayed that it won't be that much.

Fortunately, since it's our "first offense", the officer told us that we didn't have to pay for it this time. But we strictly have to follow the second time or else... well, I don't want to think about it but just to have a clear picture... within the first three months that you fail to report your change of address, it will cost you 100 000 won! and 200 000 won for six months! (I'm just so glad we're not talking about millions of won!) But it's still a lot of money. So I was so relieved we didn't have to spend anything for that. I guess they already knew not many foreigners like me (or even a korean like my husband) was aware of that rule.

The rest went well after that.

The best part though was when Asul showed a re-entry permit neatly attached to my passport (which by the way cost him 30 000 won). Since I'm not a Korean citizen (and planning to stay that way), I have to apply for a re-entry permit every time I go to my home country.

I'm going back to the Philippines this year!:)

2 comments:

betchay

hi! it's my first time on your blog... nice one you got here... buti na lang it was just your first offense... not reporting a change of address to the immigration is almost like being an illegal alien... hence, when there's a problem at home a married immigrant is advised not to leave the residence

phoebe

@betchay
thanks for dropping by:)
soooo true! Ganito pala dito, haggard ang mga rules! mejo toxic!haha but it's good in some way though..matututo kang sumunod:)

Post a Comment