Nakji (낙지)

by | |

"Nakji" or small octopus is the favorite food of my late "shi aboji" (father-in-law) and my husband's family prepare this as an offering during "chesa" or memorial service.


Every year, Koreans do chesa to remember their loved-ones who passed away and thank them for looking after the family. My husband's family do it twice a year. One for FIL and another for "haraboji and halmoni" (grandpa and grandma). It was FIL's chesa last Tuesday and since I had a long weekend from work, I was able to go to Mokpo and mess up the kitchen!haha (okay, the latter was not actually true cos i never cooked anything! I was more of a dishwasher and table setter! lol :)


It was like Thanksgiving and Korean New Year in terms of food except that we also prepared what FIL liked the most. The whole Tuesday was spent for cooking and it was midnight when the table was set and the sort of ceremony began. We placed FIL's picture on the table together with the food. It was the guys' moment cos only Asul, his older brother and his nephew bowed in front of FIL. They bowed together and individually, after each offered a shot of soju. We were supposed to eat together after the sort of ceremony but I was too full to stuff more food in my tummy.kkk


Hmmm... FIL's chesa this month, New Year last month AND grandparents' chesa NEXT month. How's that for the first half of 2010?!! lol :)

6 comments:

Laine

is the octopus eaten raw like sashimi? kkk...looks deliciously slimy...^^

jehan

I'd really love to witness this ritual even for once.. While we Catholics are allowed to practice our ancestral rites, more on inculturation, I observed Christian Koreans don't do it anymore. We don't have a picture of my late FIL here at home. We didn't visit his tomb last year too. Actually, we visited his tombsite a few weeks after I arrived here last 2008 because I requested Alex to bring me there... It was my late father's birthday yesterday and put up his picture on the stand above our pc, offered some wine and a simple fruit salad for him.. I want to do that for my FIL too...

phoebe

@laine- pwede rin:) or usually pinapakuluan. I've only tried the small one. As in gumagalaw pa talaga!kk it was deliciously slimy indeed:)

@jehan- Sweet naman. Eldest nga ba husband mo?I'm sure magagawa mo rin siya. Catholic yung older brother ni Blue, tapos the rest of the family Buddhist... oh, Blue doesn't have any religion. I could say na super traditional family nila pero buti na lang super bait at di gnun kastrict si MIL.. kaya di naman ako pressured :) tska it's been a pleasure to do it naman kya okay lang:)

Golden

Parang may ganyang ritual din dito sa Cordillera. I see my parents-in-law offering some foods to their deads din kasi eh. And they do it on certain days too, not only on All Saints' Day. The octopus looks scary sis. Hihi.

Lots of love,

Jempres

We don't do chesa in our family. It's the same with New Year and Chuseok, that's why I feel really lucky during these holidays.
I don't think I'll try to eat yung gumagalaw pa, parang ang scary ^_^

phoebe

@golden- that's interesting to know:) this is something new for me since sa Pinas, offer lng lagi kami ng mass pag death anniv:) The octopus did look scary... pero in fairness, tasty!:) thanks for dropping in:)

@jempress- You're lucky!:) Not that i'm complaining.kkk Nakakamiss lang humilata pag holiday.haha Ako rin, i WOULDN'T have tried yung gumagalaw pa, kaso that time, Blue already stuffed the tiny bit in my mouth and i just felt it moving inside! ewww... haha :)

Post a Comment