I Heart Sindang-dong

by | |
Craving for something hot and spicy? feeling for a rice cake? Why not try Tteokbokki? LOL

Corny? I know!haha I'm sorry I just don't know how to start off this post :)

It was last weekend when we went to Sindang-dong to get my phone (I left it in my friend's car when I visited her family. Luckily, she was working on a Saturday somewhere in Sindang, so Asul and I decided to go to her place to pick it up.) It was like an hour away from our house.

Apparently, there's also a famous area here called "Sindang-dong Tteokbokki Town" which is, obviously, known for "tteokbokki" or hot and spicy rice cake. So we agreed to have lunch there before heading to my friend's place.

We took subway line 6. You'd see this kind of map in all of the subway stations so you won't be wondering where on earth you are. If you're like me... with no sense of direction, trust me. It'd be useful:)


A lot of the subway stations are quite big and they have several exit gates. If you're planning to go to this tteokbokki town, you'd have to get out of exit 8.



We just walked straight a bit when we got out of the station. Turned left and walked some more. We didn't see the area right away and I was kinda panicking cos all I saw were restaurants for "tang", "guk" (which are basically soup!) and others.


"Where's tteokbokki?!" I asked Asul. And before I started nagging him again, this entrance arc came into sight. And he gave me a look as if saying "See?!"



The first restaurant we saw on the left was the original tteokbokki shop according to Asul. But it was full! And there's a queue of people waiting for empty tables. So we settled into "I Heart Sindang-dong" (It's supposed to be literally a heart shape but I don't know how to make one, pano ba?:)


Anyway, here's the menu. Gosh, it still gives me headache just to see korean text. So I just feasted my eyes on the pictures and asked Asul instead:) We ordered the one on top. It costs 10,000KRW for two. And you may have additional stuff like fish cake, ham etc. We requested for cheese tteok or cheese rice cake and we paid 3,000KRW for that.



Here's the Sindang-dong Tteokbokki the moment it was served.


And this is to show how big the serving was compared to Asul's tummy (would you believe he tried to go on a diet cos he got so conscious about his "big" stomach!? ooopps, THAT was supposed to be a secret *wink* :)






And here it is after a while:) It was bloody red (-ish.. more like orange:) but it was not as spicy as I expected it to be. Or my spicy food tolerance has just dramatically improved? It was pretty good, though. A bit sweet,too.



*sigh*
It's a rainy Saturday and I suddenly want one again :)

4 comments:

jehan

we had this one too when we travelled to gapyeong yata last year... aba, isang taon na pala yon, haha... we dropped by seoul. original plan was to see a movie to avoid the traffic going incheon...

di ko masyado type talaga ang rice cakes. lalo na to, spicy pa although alex loves my version of it, kkk...

sana nga rainy na lang din dito, makulimlim lang kase, para di ganito kainit pa rin...

mishi

wow!*drooling*

i was expecting for a cake ate pheng, u you with dough something, soup pala sya? I'll keep that in mind, spicy tteokbokki..tteokbokki (Pano ba sya i-pronounce?haha!) I'll bug again Gil for this as soon as he came back!

mishu! ako nmn nasa hiatus stage ngayon.hehe

mybittersweetkoreanlife

I went to this place before. Their tteokbokki is different from the ones you get on the streets. Theirs is a bit watery. Personally, I still prefer street-type tteokbokki. I love how thick the sauce is, how insanely spicy it is... and it's fun eating it with a toothpick!

phoebe

@jehan- actually ako rin! di ko masyadong type ang rice cakes. kaya ang kinain ko dito yung odeng, noodles, mandu.hehe

@mishi- ibang klase na kasi to ng tteokbokki. dami na kasing variation.hehe yung regular na tteokbokki sa mga street food stalls more on rice cakes tsaka ma-saucy:)

@emma- oo nga, nalimutan ko plang i-mention yung street-type tteokbokki. gawan ko rin pala ng post yun:) Ako naman, mas gusto ko tong watery tsaka may iba ibang lahok. Di kaya ng powers ko pag super spicy:)

Post a Comment